From July of 1775 to April of 1776, George Washington, then General of the Continental Army, used the Vassall House, as it was known at the time, as his base of operations.
In 1837, after accepting a professorship at Harvard, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow rented a room at the Craige House, as it had become known. Literary historians have stated that the early years Longfellow spent in the house were the start of his literary career. In 1843, the house was purchased by Longfellow's father in law and gifted to him.
In 1972, a trust founded by Longfellow's children donated the property to the National Park Service. In 2010, the site was renamed the Longfellow House–Washington's Headquarters National Historic Site.
This product has not yet been reviewed.