Fort Caroline National Memorial, a unit of the Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve, memorializes the 16th century French effort to establish a permanent colony in Florida.
In June 1564, the French returned to establish the colony of ''la Caroline'' and built a fort for its protection. In September, 1965, Spanish soldiers marched north from their newly established colony of Saint Augustine and captured Fort de la Caroline.
Today, nothing remains of the original la Caroline or its fort. A fort exhibit together with displays at the visitor center provide information on the history of the French, their interaction with native Timucuan Indians, and colonists brief struggle for survival.
Fort Caroline National Memorial Patch measures 3'' in diameter.
This product has not yet been reviewed.